[pure-silver] Re: Chromogenic toning?

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:35:24 -0500

On January 21, 2005 05:49 pm, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>    I wonder what, if any, advantage chromogenic toning has
> over simple dye toning of prints. Dye toning is an old
> process where the image is bleached using a bleach that acts
> as a mordant for the dye. The only special chemicals needed
> are the dyes. Kodak has published at least two bleach
> formulas over the years. Perhaps there is a more modern
> bleach available.

        I haven't done either so can only quote Rudman's toning book

                "In chromogenic dye images, therefore, the whites remain white
and the greys
and blacks change colour. In gelatine-dyed images the whites change colour
and the greys and blacks remain the same"

        So it sounds like the final result would be different. A winter scene
with a
tree surrounded with snow would in one case have white snow in the other
coloured snow.

        The formula posted by Gerald only requires the colour couplers. The
rest of
the chemicals are common enough. I did a google search today and found a
bunch of MSDS for the couplers so somebody must be selling them.

        Nick