[pure-silver] Re: Book Recommendation Request

  • From: Speedy <speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:27:55 -0400

Due to time constraints  (50hr+/week job)  I think my best bet is to find good
books to read and practice.  I am a techie so I do not have a problem reading,
applying, and learning...

No matter how good you get at something you can ALWAYS get better!

I am about 1/2 way through The Command to Look.

Thanks
Chuck

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:04:52 -0400
From: michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Book Recommendation Request

    Exactly. There needs to be an "abstract" structure underlying the
    content of the picture. Some might say that no matter what is
    photographed, the abstract structure and the rhythms created by that
    structure--is the real subject of the photograph. Without it, the
    picture not only sleeps, it is dead.

    Michael

    On 7/25/13 5:36 PM, BOB KISS wrote:

        DEAR
              CHUCK,
                    Am
              I right that you have spent decades as an educator?  One
              thing I don’t
              recall anyone suggesting was to go to a university and
              take a DESIGN course…that’s
              right, graphic design, artistic design…design!  No it
              isn’t as
              independent or fast as a book but you will get a long term
              opportunity to learn
              all of the visual concepts and approaches upon which
              “composition”
              is based.  Composition is a distillation of the concepts
              of design.
              Design is the set; composition is the subset.
        I am sure that Michael and Paula’s
              workshops would be
              enormously helpful and, if you can, you should.  But a 12
              or 14 week
              course gives time to try a wide variety of approaches,
              make and learn from mistakes,
              get critiques from teachers and fellow artists and to just
              plain germinate.
              Even if you did this when you were much younger, it is a
              really good thing to
              for decades
              including ICP, guest lecturing at NYU, FIT, and The Art
              Center in LA and have taught photography
              and film making at The University of the West Indies and
              Barbados Community College.
              But, since finishing the 5 year BS/MS program at RIT, I
              went back to school for
              film making at NYU, theater directing at Masterworks
              Laboratory Theater, ground
              and flight school to learn to fly, and two Olympic epee
              coaching workshops.

        When I teach photography I tell
              students that the range
              finder or ground glass is a design space…just like a white
              piece of paper
              or a canvas.  As none of us are yet making 3 dimensional
              photos (thought I
              did holography at General Electric when I worked there) we
              are all transforming
              3D reality to a 2D space…a print or screen…and, if there
              is no
              design sense the photo sleeps.  I tell them that the photo
              should work as
              an image of the subject but also as an abstract 2D design
              in its own right.
              THAT is composition.
        Try it, you’ll like it!
                                CHEERS!

              BOB

          From:
              pure-silver-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 09:37:24
                -0700

                From: emanmb@xxxxxxxxx

                To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    have a copy of Mortensen's The Command to Look: A
                    Formula for Picture Success
                    in pdf form.  It's 51MB and I can post it on a cloud
                    thingy so it can be
                    downloaded easily.  If anyone is interested let me
                    know and I'll post it
                    for download.

                    From:
                        Speedy