[pure-silver] Re: Book Recommendation Request

  • From: "Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee" <michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:04:52 -0400

Exactly. There needs to be an "abstract" structure underlying the content of the picture. Some might say that no matter what is photographed, the abstract structure and the rhythms created by that structure--is the real subject of the photograph. Without it, the picture not only sleeps, it is dead.

Michael

On 7/25/13 5:36 PM, BOB KISS wrote:

*DEAR CHUCK,*

* Am I right that you have spent decades as an educator? One thing I don't recall anyone suggesting was to go to a university and take a DESIGN course...that's right, graphic design, artistic design...design! No it isn't as independent or fast as a book but you will get a long term opportunity to learn all of the visual concepts and approaches upon which "composition" is based. Composition is a distillation of the concepts of design. Design is the set; composition is the subset. *

*I am sure that Michael and Paula's workshops would be enormously helpful and, if you can, you should. But a 12 or 14 week course gives time to try a wide variety of approaches, make and learn from mistakes, get critiques from teachers and fellow artists and to just plain germinate. Even if you did this when you were much younger, it is a really good thing to go back to school as a mature adult. I also have taught for decades including ICP, guest lecturing at NYU, FIT, and The Art Center in LA and have taught photography and film making at The University of the West Indies and Barbados Community College. But, since finishing the 5 year BS/MS program at RIT, I went back to school for film making at NYU, theater directing at Masterworks Laboratory Theater, ground and flight school to learn to fly, and two Olympic epee coaching workshops. *

*When I teach photography I tell students that the range finder or ground glass is a design space...just like a white piece of paper or a canvas. As none of us are yet making 3 dimensional photos (thought I did holography at General Electric when I worked there) we are all transforming 3D reality to a 2D space...a print or screen...and, if there is no design sense the photo sleeps. I tell them that the photo should work as an image of the subject but also as an abstract 2D design in its own right. THAT is composition.*

*Try it, you'll like it!*

*                        CHEERS!*

*BOB*

**

**

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 09:37:24 -0700
From: emanmb@xxxxxxxxx
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a copy of Mortensen's The Command to Look: A Formula for Picture Success in pdf form. It's 51MB and I can post it on a cloud thingy so it can be downloaded easily. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post it for download.