[pure-silver] Re: Book Recommendation Request

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 14:00:14 -0400

DEAR CHUCK,

            Though the following Edward Weston quote might sound like an
oversimplification, like most profound things, it is deceptively simple:
"Composition is the strongest way of seeing."  It hints that composition
should become very personal.  It goes even further by hinting that the
subject should greatly influence your composition, not the rules of thirds,
fifths, golden means, Fibonacci spirals, etc.  I won't disagree that there
are visual tendencies about which you must know.  Yes, of course, you should
understand all of those compositional approaches then clear your mind and
use your eyes, brain, and soul to react in a deeply personal manner to your
subject, compose the photo and use the light to respond to the feelings
produced when you react to your subject, and make your picture.

            Enjoy the books!

                                    CHEERS!

                                                BOB

  _____