[pure-silver] Re: Best developer for fogged film...

  • From: Elias Roustom <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 20:30:48 -0500

XTOL stock @ 70ºF gives a very quick 6.25' for Tri-X.

You can also add potassium bromide to D76 to help reduce fog. Read this:
http://silvergrain.com/labs/D-76

I'm just looking at charts and articles - and I've hung around here long enough. No experience...

Elias

On Dec 4, 2009, at 7:00 AM, Michael HINTLIAN wrote:

Returning from a long trip to India I'm in the process of developing 80 rolls of Tri-X (35mm) from the trip. For reasons known only to Inidan security at the airport they decided to pull me completely apart upon departure which meant repeated xraying of my film who knows how many times...in spite of my polite requests for an alternative hand inspection. A nightmare. I've developed the first 24 rolls and find a low level fog on the film base - not quite as bad as outdated T-Max 3200 but along those lines. The developer is Rodinal, 1:50, 14:45mins with two tank inversions every other minute. I'm thinking I might need to find a developer that works faster in the hope that this base fog will be minimized or won't have the chance to build up as might be the case with the long-ish times in Rodinal.
What are the thoughts of the group?  With many thanks!
Michael
Michael Hintlian
michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx