[pure-silver] Re: Best developer for fogged film...?

  • From: Dennis Purdy <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 06:58:55 -0800

I would suggest just processing it as normal and fix the base fog by printing through it and adjusting contrast if necessary. In my experience, Xray fog is not even, it makes a pattern which basically ruins the film. It sounds more like your film got hot. But if it is only base fog and not as bad as old TMZ then you should be ok with your regular processing.

Dennis
On Dec 4, 2009, at 04:05, Michael HINTLIAN wrote:

Returning from a long trip to India I'm in the process of developing 80 rolls of Tri-X (35mm) from the trip. For reasons known only to Inidan security at the airport they decided to pull me completely apart upon departure which meant repeated xraying of my film who knows how many times...in spite of my polite requests for an alternative hand inspection. A nightmare. I've developed the first 24 rolls and find a low level fog on the film base - not quite as bad as outdated T-Max 3200 but along those lines. My preferred developer is Rodinal, 1:50, 14:45mins with two tank inversions every other minute. After looking at these first results I'm thinking I might need to find a developer that works faster in the hope that this base fog will be minimized or won't have the chance to build up as might be the case with the long-ish times in Rodinal.
What are the thoughts of the group? With many thanks!
Michael