[pure-silver] Re: Best developer for fogged film...

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 19:27:07 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elias Roustom" <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2009 5:30 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Best developer for fogged film...

XTOL stock @ 70ºF gives a very quick 6.25' for Tri-X.

You can also add potassium bromide to D76 to help reduce fog. Read this:
http://silvergrain.com/labs/D-76

I'm just looking at charts and articles - and I've hung around here
long enough. No experience...

Elias

I mentioned this before. In their 1929 paper by Carlton and Crabtree they described the slight fog created by _fresh_ D-76 and stated that a small amount of bromide would increase film speed very slightly by suppressing the fog. The amount used in the paper, and by Agfa in their version of D-76 was 0.5 gram per liter but in their special purpose developer version of D-76 the amount was 0.4 gram, which I think is closer to the right amount. I think I've seen another version of SD-28 which specifies only 0.25 gram/liter. Bromide suppresses fog but, if there is more than the very minimum it will also interfere with the latent image and reduce film speed slightly. When D-76 is used some bromide gets into it from the silver bromide in the emulsion. This also has the effect of suppressing fog. When the developer is used beyond a certain point the bromide, and also iodide, also a fog suppressing agent, begins to reduce shadow detail and effective speed. Even when the developer is replenished the bromide and iodide has its effect. It is common in replenished systems to "season" the developer, either with old developer or with a specially compounded seasoning solution so that the developer performance is uniform from the beginning. This standard practice for color development. The Carlton and Crabtree paper is worth obtaining and reading.

Carlton, H. C. and Crabtree, J. I. 1929. "Some properties of fine-grain developers for motion picture film," Trans. of the Society of Motion Picture Engineers, XIII, 406ff.

Ryuji Suzuki has a collection of variations of D-76 on his web site. According to him the optimum amount of sulfite and ratio of metol to hydroquinone is somewhat different than given in D-76. Agfa-17 is closer to the mark. One can compound a buffered version of Agfa-17 using a borax and boric acid buffer system as in D-76 but I don't know the right ratio to duplicate the pH and activity of the original. Those with a better knowledge of chemistry can calculate this.