[pure-silver] Re: Amusing Kodak commercial

  • From: afterswift@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 03:13:31 -0500

 There is such a thing as digital technique. At present many digitals require a
delay between focus lock-on and shutter release. To get around that problem,
pre-focus by holding the shutter release button half-way down to establish
focus; then compose for the shot and take it. The technique is similar to the
Leica threaded bodies, where you had to use the rangefinder first, then compose
in the viewfinder. Both fields were separate. In the M Leica series, they were
combined. Cartier-Bresson would preset his Leicas for DOF and not bother to
focus for the individual subjects. That works really well with a 35mm lens. In
street and journalism photography, DOF is the way to go.

 In DSLR's, like the Nikon D70, the delay is minimal and not a problem.
However, even the D70 will hang up if there's not enough light to get a
focus-lock on the subject or the scene doesn't have a clear line to focus on. A
digital will give you a hard time if you shoot in fog, unless you switch to
Manual mode. That's best done with a good DSLR, like a D70, that has a manual
focus switch.

 Bob