[pure-silver] Re: AZO and Benzotriazole for anti-fogging

  • From: "Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee" <michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 18:53:16 -0400

Hello Bogdan,

This is the first mention of Azo since I have been back on this list, so I will chime in.

There will be no fogging on the Azo. If you have read my articles on Azo (all at http://www.michaleandpaula.com) you will see that Azo that has been stored in hot conditions has been perfect after thirty years. We now print on Azo from the 1970s (and occasionally Azo from the 1940s). It is fine, except that it has lost a little contrast.

I do not recommend Benzotriazole at all. It causes an ugly blue color. use KBr instead. Also, Dektol gives an unpleasant tone as well. Amidol gives the finest results. The formula I recommend is in my articles. Today, I add 50% more KBr, but otherwise, the formula works best as printed.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Michael A. Smith

Hello,

I want to do some contact printing using AZO paper that has been kept in a fridge for the past ten years. I'll be using it for the first time tomorrow. If there is fogging, how much benzotriazole should I add per liter of Dektol 1:2. The "Darkroom Cookbook" says that Benzotriazole does not dissolve readily in cold water. It says to dissolve in hot water ... 125°F/51.67°C or higher. Should I heat up the water before diluting the Dektol or can the Dektol dilute solution be heated up and then adding the Benzotriazole?

Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Cheers,
Bogdan

 Bogdan Karasek
 Montréal, Québec                     bogdan(at)bogdanphoto.com
 Canada                               www.bogdanphoto.com

                    "I bear witness"