[pure-silver] Re: AZO and Benzotriazole for anti-fogging

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 10:40:46 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee" <michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:06 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: AZO and Benzotriazole for anti-fogging

Greeting Richard. It has been a long time. The amount of KBr I recommend is to get the "right" print color, at least to my eyes. Other factors are secondary.

Michael A. Smith

Too long. I am still in there pitching for Fox TV, I wish I could afford to retire. Have you and Paula ever experimented with a Phenidone based developer for Azo or one using ascorbic acid in place of the hydroquinone in Dektol? I think it is the hydroquinone that is mainly responsible for the greenish tinge in Dektol. AFAIK the only Phenidone/ascorbic acid developer available commercially was made by Agfa Neutol Plus but I am not absolutely sure of its contents. Amidol works well without carbonate because it is the most powerful of the developing agents. Others need an accelerator more alkaline than sulfite. Since Amidol is not readily available it might be useful to see if some variation on a standard formula could be made to approximate it, at least to get the green out. I've also seen sodium carbonate blamed for the green. It would be interesting to make up something like D-72 with potassium carbonate or with sodium metaborate to see what difference, if any, it makes. Curiously, the green tinge does not seem to show up in any paper in the Kodak sample books I have. Maybe heat drying did it.