[pure-silver] Re: 90mm lens for 4x5 recommendations

  • From: John Meyers <jmeyers102@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:22:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- Stein <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear John,
>
>      I use an f.8 90 mm lens and in view ( pun ) of
> the pictures that get
> taken with it, the aperture is fine. This is not
> fast-grab work, and 30
> seconds under the dark cloth lets your eyes adjust
> to the screen. That said,
> it is a little dim when I use a reflex viewer at the
> back of the studio
> camera - but then I drape under the cloth and it all
> comes good.
>
>      My choice for how to live your life? Save for
> the Nikkor lens. I use a
> Nikkor W 135 for field work and it is absolutely
> brilliant, particularly
> when you have to include the sun in the shot. No
> flare, even shooting right
> out to sea on a clear morning.
>
>     Uncle Dick

As I think about it more, it seems to come down to the
following questions:

Do I want/need the larger image circle that the Nikkor
90mm f8 provides, allowing more movements?  Answer:
given my current skill level, probably not.

Do I need/want the larger aperture that the Caltar
f6.8 provides?  Answer: That's not a deciding factor
for me. Although I'm sure that extra brightness would
be welcome when focussing, Uncle Dick's comments above
address that well. (Also, as someone else pointed out,
the larger aperture lens does command a higher price,
at least when new. The Caltar lens is listed at
Calumet for $929.99 -- certainly out of my price
range, but indicating that the one I saw offered for
%00 is a pretty good deal).

If I were able to try out both these lenses, plus the
Fujinon that Dave Hornford mentioned, would I be able
to detect a difference?  Answer: I don't know.

So this brings me back to: Do I get a Nikkor based on
the strong recommendations I've seen a couple of
places, as well from Uncle Dick?

It all comes back to the pocketbook I guess. I was
looking to spend not more than $500, so perhaps that
used Caltar...

Thanks all.

John Meyers