[pure-silver] 90mm lens for 4x5 recommendations

  • From: John Meyers <jmeyers102@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:53:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

From any of you large format users out there, I would
like your thoughts regarding a 90mm lens for 4x5.

Some time ago, I bought a Calumet Cadet camera outfit
on ebay for a good price because I wished to try my
hand at large format.  It came w/ a Caltar 150mm lens,
but I'd like something wide as I am interested in
architectural work.

From what I've seen on various LF websites, the Nikkor
90mm f8 lens is recommended highly. However, today I
see someone advertising a Caltar II-n 90mm f6.8 lens
on photo.net for $500, and I wonder if this is a deal
worth jumping on. IN my website wanderings, I have
discovered that the Nikkor has a larger image circle,
and perhaps that is a good reason to save up for that
more expensive lens.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. My
financial situation will obviously temper any
decisions here, but I'll have to contend with that
somehow.

(Then of course there is my desire for a different
camera. I find the monorail style of the Cadet to be a
bit of a nuisance as far as travelling with it. I have
consequently been looking longingly at the Shen Hao
and Tachihara field cameras.  But perhaps that should
be a discussion for another time).

Thanks.

John Meyers