[pure-silver] Re: 90mm lens for 4x5 recommendations

  • From: "richard l. gifford" <rlgif@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:08:05 -0500

John Meyers wrote:
> (snipped)
> ...Do I want/need the larger image circle that the Nikkor
> 90mm f8 provides, allowing more movements?  Answer:
> given my current skill level, probably not...

John, I never thought of additional movement as related
to skill level.  When you bend the bellows, you need
what you need, and that might be before you reach some
other skill level.  Of course some fiscal restraint is
sometimes in order, but I would recommend that you
assume that you will always appreciate a larger image
circle.  That said, my 90 is a Schneider Angulon 6.8
(not the Super Angulon) and if I'm deprived I guess I
never noticed.

I wish you much enjoyment with your shorter lens.
Favorite is perhaps not a good word because of course
one uses the lens needed for the situation at hand, but
I find myself visualizing more images that use the 90.

Regards...   Dick Gifford