[pure-silver] Re: 8x10 enlarger/enlarging oddity

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 20:31:04 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Nelson" <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "pure silver" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 5:50 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] 8x10 enlarger/enlarging oddity

Since I'll be moving soon-ish I decided to print a few 8x10 negs of mine before everything is sold or stored.

99.9% of my printing w/that enlarger was rolls of 35mm film making enlarged proofs for clients. Whenever I did that, I had to burn the corners 2-3x to get them even w/the center of the print. I attributed this to the 240mm lens I used being too short and doing some vignetting. I didn't do enough of this type of work to make the investment in a 300mm worthwhile.

So I printed a couple negs and there was no burning needed whatsoever. Landscape shot, studio shot all perfectly even. Same 240mm lens, same diffusion chamber, etc. It's a DeVere 5108 tabletop model.

So what gives? The proofs definitely needed burning on their corners whereas these normal prints from 8x10 negs needed absolutely none.

Eric

That is rather puzzling. Can you think of any difference in the set up between using it to illuminate contacts and using it for prints. And BTW, when you talk about making 35mm contact sheets was this using the enlarger to illuminate a contact frame or were you making enlarged contact sheets with the negatives in the enlarger? If the latter its even more puzzling. FWIW some enlargers use tapered illumination to correct for the fall-off which is present in all standard lenses. Usually this is accomplished with a tapered light attenuator in the form of a sandblasted sheet of glass. Of course, this is in strictly diffusion enlargers such as the old Elwood ones. If the enlarger is a condenser type (and there were 8x10 condenser enlargers) perhaps there was some variation in the focus of the condenser system. I can't really think of anything taht seems to be within the laws of physics.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL