[pure-silver] 8x10 enlarger/enlarging oddity

  • From: Eric Nelson <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure silver <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 17:50:42 -0800 (PST)

Since I'll be moving soon-ish I decided to print a few 8x10 negs of mine before
everything is sold or stored.

99.9% of my printing w/that enlarger was rolls of 35mm film making enlarged
proofs for clients.  Whenever I did that, I had to burn the corners 2-3x to get
them even w/the center of the print.  I attributed this to the 240mm lens I
used being too short and doing some vignetting. I didn't do enough of this type
of work to make the investment in a 300mm worthwhile.

So I printed a couple negs and there was no burning needed whatsoever.
Landscape shot, studio shot all perfectly even.  Same 240mm lens, same
diffusion chamber, etc.  It's a DeVere 5108 tabletop model.

So what gives?  The proofs definitely needed burning on their corners whereas
these normal prints from 8x10 negs needed absolutely none.

Eric