[pure-silver] Re: 35mm (started with Film in Dektol)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:27:43 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:49 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: 35mm (started with Film in Dektol)

Elias

I don't think, he said they 'have' less. He said they 'need' less,
which is correct.

Resolution test results highly depend on your test procedure, so, absolute values have to be taken with caution, but if you keep all other variables constant, you'll get a good relative comparison. Most my Hasselblad lenses peak around 60-65 lp/mm. My Mamiya 6 lenses reach up to 90 lp/mm. My Nikon lenses perform between 70-100 lp/mm. Maybe better 35mm equipment (Leica?) could do better, but I'm afraid my film is the bottleneck. I use Tmax-100 in ID11 1+1 with a 100:1 contrast target. My estimate is that this combination is not able to give me
much more than 125 lp/mm anyway.

You see why my MF equipment runs circles around my 35mm equipment; not much less resolution but less magnification in the darkroom.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

Keep in mind that the resolution of a picture is a combination of the individual resolution of the lens, negative, and print medium. The latter is seldom a real factor. The rule of thumb for combined resolution is 1/T = 1/L + 1/F where T=total, L=lens, F=film. This is only very approximate since the actual resolution requires convolving two or more curves. Also note that lens resolution varies with image angle and is different for the radial and tangential fields and, of course, with the stop. In general, the larger the stop the greater will be the resolution, if one discounts lens aberrations. Since some important aberrations are proportional to the stop there is usually an optimum stop at which the resolution is highest. There is even more to this so that resolution numbers are far from being absolute. While some aberrations scale with the lens focal length the diffraction limit is a function of the aperture only. That is, all f/2.8 lenses have the same diffraction limit regardless of focal length. A combination of 60 lp/mm is outstanding and difficult of achievment.