[pure-silver] Re: 35mm (started with Film in Dektol)

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:10:39 -0600

Ralph W. Lambrecht wrote:
> Elias
>
> I don't think, he said they 'have' less. He said they 'need' less,
> which is correct.

That is certainly what I meant to say anyway :)

But as your numbers below demonstrate, it is often the case that MF
lenses do, in fact, have less resolution because they simply don't
need it and it would - probably be stratospherically expensive to get
the higher resolutions AND the coverage for the larger neg (this is a
guess on my part, not a fact).

> Resolution test results highly depend on your test procedure, so,
> absolute values have to be taken with caution, but if you keep all
> other variables constant, you'll get a good relative comparison.
> Most my Hasselblad lenses peak around 60-65 lp/mm. My Mamiya 6
> lenses reach up to 90 lp/mm. My Nikon lenses perform between 70-100
> lp/mm. Maybe better 35mm equipment (Leica?) could do better, but I'm
> afraid my film is the bottleneck. I use Tmax-100 in ID11 1+1 with a
> 100:1 contrast target. My estimate is that this combination is not
> able to give me much more than 125 lp/mm anyway.
>
> You see why my MF equipment runs circles around my 35mm equipment;
> not much less resolution but less magnification in the darkroom.

Yeah, a 65 lp/mm lens projecting onto a 120 neg does just blow away
even the best Nikons onto that small 35mm neg. If you want a shocking
experience, do the same comparison with a 30 yo Mamiya TLR lens and a
modern Nikon lens.

Now, it must be said that resolution is not the whole story. Lens
coating (inside and out) and other factors contribute mightily to
contrast and flare control. Corrections for various aberrations
(chromatic, barrel distorion, et al) also factor into the overall
performance of a lens. Also, the performance of a lens where the
subject is outside the boundaries of the DOF - the so-called "bokka"
of the lens - factors in. (This is one of the reasons people like
Leitz lense.) All these factors taken together determine the "look" of
a lens so I would not expect resolution to provide anywhere near the
overall story.

That's why I asked Elias what exactly he liked about his TLR lenses on
35mm film ... it's always interesting to see what strikes people as a
"good look".