[pure-silver] Re: 35mm (started with Film in Dektol)

  • From: "Ralph W. Lambrecht" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:49:40 +0100

Elias

I don't think, he said they 'have' less. He said they 'need' less, which is correct.

Resolution test results highly depend on your test procedure, so, absolute values have to be taken with caution, but if you keep all other variables constant, you'll get a good relative comparison. Most my Hasselblad lenses peak around 60-65 lp/mm. My Mamiya 6 lenses reach up to 90 lp/mm. My Nikon lenses perform between 70-100 lp/mm. Maybe better 35mm equipment (Leica?) could do better, but I'm afraid my film is the bottleneck. I use Tmax-100 in ID11 1+1 with a 100:1 contrast target. My estimate is that this combination is not able to give me much more than 125 lp/mm anyway.

You see why my MF equipment runs circles around my 35mm equipment; not much less resolution but less magnification in the darkroom.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

This electronic message contains information that is confidential, legally privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. This information is intended for the use of the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, printing or any other use of, or any action in reliance on, the contents of this electronic message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and destroy the original message immediately.

P don't print this e-mail unless you really have to

On Nov 18, 2009, at 13:15, Elias Roustom wrote:

MF and LF lenses need *less* resolving power than their equivalent
35mm lenses.

Tim, Thanks for bringing this up. I learned a lot. Also got a fun exchange out of it on the Rollei list. I'll run a test later this winter to compare my Rollei TLR glass with some Canon FD glass - for the fun of it. Then maybe I'll get a better idea why I like 135 in my MF gear so much.

Elias

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = ====================================================================== To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.