RE: new ptr1

  • From: "Cuthbertson, Jamie" <Jamie.Cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:36:35 -0000

Bill,

I suspect that what happened was as follows:

1.  When you inserted a blank data CD, the PTR1 will have said something like
"Blank disk, title does not exist, press RECORD key to create DAISY recording".
 If you then press the Record key, the PTR1 will write a small amount of
information to the disk to identify the disk as a DAISY CD rather than a blank
data CD.  The CD is then ready to record to.

If you do not want to record at this time, simply press the Cancel key which is
the Star key at the bottom left of the number pad.NOTE: If you have inserted a
blank music/audio CD the PTR1 will automatically want to record in music/audio
format and you will not be able to record in DAISY format.

2.  The PTR1 will then automatically take you into the recording stand-by mode.
 It will speak a number of pieces of information such as the format that it
will record in, the recording mode, and the input source that it will use.

3.  With no external microphone, you cannot use the recording level for the
built-in microphone as the level is set automatically - hence the fact that you
have set it to 20 having no effect on the final level of the sound.  The only
way you can affect the output sound level at this stage is to either move
closer to the unit or to increase the volume of your voice when you are
speaking.  You will hear the unit saying Low, Good or High as you speak at this
stage - I find it best to speak one or two words and then give the unit a
chance to respond.  If you are generally hearing "Low", you need to move closer
or speak louder.  If you hear "High" you need to move away a bit or speak
quieter.  You are trying at this stage to get the unit saying "Good" more often
than not though it is a bit of an imprecise science.

When you are happy with the level, you can then press the Record button and the
recording will start.  Press the Record button again whenever you want to pause
the recording.  Each time you press The Record button, the unit will start or
pause recording.  When you finish recording, press the Play/Stop key.

NOTE:  The chances are that, if you are recording to a CD, using the built-in
microphone, you will also hear a slight purr in the recording from the sound of
the CD drive.

4.  If you want better quality recordings, you would be advised to invest in an
external microphone as you will then be able to control the recording level
more precisely using the switch that you have been using, and it will get rid
of the CD drive noise.

5.  As a general tip, it is worth noting that the first phrase that is recorded
in a DAISY title becomes the title of that recording.  Hence, it is worth
speaking your title soon after you have pressed the Record button because, if
you delay, you are likely to have a silent phrase as your title.  This is not a
major issue but can confuse people when they put the CD back into the unit at a
later stage because it can give the impression that the CD has nothing on it.

I hope this is of assistance.  Feel free to come back if it is not clear enough.

Cheers,

Jamie