[pskmail] Re: jpskmail questions

  • From: "Eric W. Davenport" <kz5ed@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:06:39 -0400

Michael
Thank you for your quick response.

I use the Rigbalster Plug and Play with the 857 and it has been working fine controlling and doing the sound interface.

I use an inverted V as well so I hope I will hear something. I have an inverted V as well and it works well on all the other digi modes so I should hear something.

When you Lock fldigi does that lock the transmit and receive frequencies to whatever you have set in FLDIGI Freq? Mine says 10147 and the lock button is Highlighted. I have not touched anything else.

Thanks
Eric
KZ5ED

Decossas, Michael wrote:
Eric,
     Here are the responses to your questions that I can answer.
     1. Set the frequency on your FT-857 to 147.00. this will put you right on
148.00 for the default offset in FLDigi. I have the same radio and that is what
had to happen to get on frequency.
     2. fldigi, not jpskmail will control the radio. You will need the CT-62
cable and a second serial port. For control of the 857, use Hamlib and select
your com port(Baud Rate of 38400). Also, check PTT via Hamlib command unless
you are using a VOX system like the Tigertronics Signalink USB. All the other
settings should work fine as default.
3. You should see some beacons, depending on band conditions and your antenna. Most of the servers, that I know of, currently run vertical antennas (which may cause a problem for you if you are horizontal). I am currently running an inverted V at about 30'. Here in New Orleans, I can usually see (via ping) WB5CON & NC5O during the day and only NC5O during evenings. 4. Yes, we share with all the other digital modes. Most of the non-pskmail activity I see seems to be Pactor2/3.

As a test, launch fldigi, open jpskmail, click on Link and select ping. This
will ping out over the air and any servers that hear you should respond. this
should indicate which servers have a good rf path to you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Mike-KB5OZE
www.selcoms.org
PSKMAIl Server KB5OZE-2 (still in testing)