[pskmail] Re: jpskmail questions

  • From: Hal <halinux@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:06:05 -0400

On 08-26, Eric W. Davenport wrote:
> Good Afternoon,
>
> I have finally gotten jpskmail installed.
>
> Ok so now I am running.  I have WB5CON as my server.  I am running
> fldigi 3.12  my receiver is set to 10148 DIG mode on FT857.

        Greetings OM. You'll get replies from others with more smarts
than me but I'll add my $0.02: Dial setting 10147.000 __USB__ with sweet
spot set to 1000Hz, should be right, presuming your dial is within the
40Hz required.. (Think that's right)

> I have not heard anything other than short bursts of what I believe is
> packet not psk250, but it may be the same.

        Dial set as above there will be some 300 baud packet APRS
traffic near 2100Hz on the waterfall...

>   2. When I launch JPSKMAIL it keys the radio and appears to be setting
>      things.

        When started it sends your beacon/position.. If any server
prints you, you will get a QSL.. You can manually ping also..

>         1. It does not set the mode.

        It should default to PSK250 but you can check and/or set that
yourself..

>   3. Should I be able to see beacons?

        Yes at your location you should see WB5CON and another beacon
from SanAntonio, TX.. YMMV according to propo of course.. I can copy
WB5CON very well but not SanAntonio.. WB5CON used to beacon slightly
after :00 and :30 but that may have changed since he's had some issues..

>   4. Do we share the frequency with packet?  The obvious
>answer is we could be but my question should probably be does
>PSK250 sound like Packet.

        They are both two tones wiggling back and forth; packet is FSK
and PSKMail is PSK.. If your dial set right you can judge yourself as
they will both be there, presuming WB5CON doesn't propogate over you.
HI.. Ham Radio is all about sharing; right?? APRS 30 Metres has many
more stations in many locations.. I can copy the entire east coast
Canada to Florida and to the midwest.. Probably not close ones though..

> I ask these questions because I do not want to make assumptions.
> Your help is appreciated.

        Your interest is more appreciated as PSKMail is the "way
to go," IMHO... HI..

> Bakersville, NC 28705

        Near Asheville??

--

             Hal       UNIX-GNU/Linux - Slackware 11.0, 2.4.33.3
.