[pskmail] Re: Saving GRIB files to Desktop ?

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 08:48:05 +0100

Hi all,

I have been somewhat hard at work with my new subversion/mail server so
have not had so much time to read and discuss here (sri abt that). But,
what I did to jpskmail 1.5.4 was to remove all the hidden, very special,
handling of email attachments. Like when a grib file was received it
would go to /opt/zyGrip/grib if zygrib was installed. If not then it
would end up somewhere else (.pskmail or .pskmail/Files depending upon
whether the transfer was compressed or not). If an attachment was
deleted there was no way to get a new copy without connecting to the
server and download it again...

I think there is a value to not do things in a very special way. If the
email tab behaves much like some usual email handler then the user may
not even have to read that part of the manual (which is the standard
anyway). So, what I did was to remove all the automated handling of
base64 attachments as I was getting numerous questions regarding where
the attachments went (I searched the entire machine and could not find
it... was one common comment).

The idea now is that the email should be seen much like it is in for
example thunderbird. If there is an attachment then that should be
visible at the bottom of the email and the Save button should be
enabled. I know there were a few issues with that in 1.5.0 when doing
uncompressed email. Sometimes the email would only be seen in the text
window and it would not recognize that there was an attachment.
But, 1.5.4 was tested with various files in both compressed and
uncompressed transfer mode. So, if you are using 1.5 then please upgrade
to 1.5.4. If you are using 1.5.4 already then pse let me know asap and I
will test it and make it work.

I'm not really a fan of introducing a view button that launches some
special viewer. But, we could have it try to launch the system selected
file type viewer. By that I mean that if you double click on an image
attachment then the image viewer selected in the system for that file
type could handle the attachment.

73 de Per, SM0RWO