[projectaon] Re: gamebook.js - an IF-style gamebook engine (featuring FotW)

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:32:12 +1300

On 18/01/13 04:29, Christian Jauvin wrote:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate!

I'd be happy to host my files on Project Aon.. is there a particular
process I should go through?

Yeah I believe Jon just needs to set you up with a staff account, which then allows you to upload files. I havent heard much from anyone in a while - maybe theyre all still on holiday? They usually respond quite quickly. Just give the others some time and Im sure theyll surface eventually :)

  But I guess the question would also be:
is it worth it? Because at this point, it doesn't seem to be of a
great interest to the LW community.

Even though youve designed this with LW in mind, theres no reason that your code cannot be used for other gamebooks - or even to allow others to make their own gamebooks. I wouldnt necessarily limit yourself in that respect (I guess Im saying just because youre not seeing any interest in the LW community doesnt mean that someone wouldnt find it interesting).

Personally I think its a really intriguing take on playing the books and Im really interested in seeing it develop. One of the major "flaws" with every other implementations is that you need some external (pen and paper, a separate web page etc) way of recording many things like items collected, skills chosen, even Random Number Generation. Your system already takes care of RNG, it would be fairly trivial to add a section at the start to choose skills/starting items, initial stat generation could easily be done automatically as well, saving this information to a file would provide a way of saving your place in an adventure (ie to continue later) and continuing your character in a later adventure.

I guess its a call you ultimately have to make. My suggestion (if you are not already doing so) would be to modify your code so that it either a) works with the Project Aon XML files directly (so you dont have to generate your own JSON ones)
b) provides a parser to convert the PA XML files into your JSON files

then that way you dont have to spend as much time on the actual importing of the text (if thats your major concern) - you could focus on the actual parsing engine.

One of the biggest challenges that I think youd face would be in regards to the lack of options you actually have in the gamebooks. Take section 160 as an example, you only have the option of demonstrating 5 of your skills and given the text its not immediately obvious you can choose not to demonstrate anything (unless you type hint first). Quite often my first thought in text adventures is to "look at ..." which quite often you cannot do in LW. I guess you could either display the hint automatically whenever the user types in something nonsensical (eg jump) or prompt for/display a hint after 3/4 failed attempts (combats in particular are annoying when you have an evade option as it just sits at the prompt ... wtf? i have an option here? ... i realise you havent implemented combat yet but i still needed to use a hint to work out why it was waiting for input from me).

My suggestion would be to take it as far as you can be bothered. If you want encouragement then i will provide some for as long as I can be bothered :) As long as you release your code open source (and leave the copyrighted stuff on PA of course) someone else can take all the work youve done and build on it later (when they can be bothered).

As for the bug you mentioned, I was aware of it, but you made me
realize that I had to fix it, because it's annoying. I discovered that
it's linked to the way Chrome handles keypress events, because on
other browsers it seemed to work. I fixed it (should work now on
Chrome)

ah yes, it is indeed fixed (and i was using chrome).

  but I also discovered another scrolling problem with Firefox
(at least the Linux version), for which I couldn't find a fix. If
someone has a clue, please drop me a line.

Christian