[projectaon] Re: gamebook.js - an IF-style gamebook engine (featuring FotW)

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:56:19 +1300

On 17/01/13 12:31, Christian Jauvin wrote:
Hi all,

I already sent the following message to the PA forum, but I thought it
might be more relevant to send it here (if not, sorry about it, and it
will be my last message of the sort):

I am new to Project Aon, but a longtime fan of the LW books (I first
read them in French, almost thirty years ago).

I recently had an idea for a small twist in the usual mechanics of a
gamebook software where instead of navigating an explicit menu of
options, you are given a console in which you are free to type any
command, after each section, using clues from the text. The engine
then tries to match your input with one of the predefined options,
yielding a gameplay more akin to interactive fiction.
woah. that sounds cool. definitely a bit of a challenge but still cool.

I have implemented an experimental version of my idea, using the Fire
on the Water book (which has always been my favorite).

Since I'm very aware that this is a copyrighted work, and that Project
Aon has strict rules about its use and distribution, I didn't want to
complete my project before posting about it here, for a possible
discussion, if it is of any interest to anyone. In particular, I'd
like to know: is it ok to do that?
I believe you would need to host your work on the Project Aon site (as opposed to github). Your fotw.json file would definitely need to be hosted on the Project Aon site (as that is one of the limitations Project Aon has in regards to being allowed to publish web-version of the LW books), the rest of your code doesnt actually include any copyrighted material (as far as I can tell with a quick glance) so hypothetically that *could* be hosted on github as long as the file containing the actual game book text was only available from Project Aon. Especially since your code seems fairly generic and could be used with any suitably constructed JSON file.

Someone correct me if Im wrong.

In saying that, it would probably be quite nice to host the rest of the code on the Project Aon site anyway.

My engine is called gamebook.js (because it's written in 100%
JavaScript; even the book data, which is fully contained in a JSON
structure), and the code is available on GitHub (where some
implementation details are given in the README):

https://github.com/cjauvin/gamebook.js

There's an online version that you can try, also hosted on GitHub:

http://cjauvin.github.com/gamebook.js

Again it's an experimental version, so please note that the book is
only playable up to the 53 first sections, and that only the textual
elements of gameplay are implemented, so combats, stats and inventory
management are not currently supported. The command parser could also
be much improved, as the current version is a bit crude. Also, it's
quite certain that there are bugs, of course.

This is a labor of love and nostalgia, without any other intention
than paying tribute to these fantastic books, that have been so
influential to the younger me.

Christian