[projectaon] Re: Probable error in the Companion Postscript

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:14:55 +0000

Thomas Wolmer wrote:

Well, the reasons why I believe it should be Hammerlands are:

Yeah, that does sound reasonable. OK, I've fixed Hardlands -> Hammerlands in Club Newsletter #7 (new file available) and in TMC (not yet available).

* Age of War begins in 5000 MS not 4608 MS

Hm, this really does not fit with the timeline as drawn in the MC... and 4608 MS is very logical as that is the start of the "War of a Thousand Years" (if we ignore that other conflicting date for the arrival of the Elder Magi).

I think the dates given in Mongoose are rough ideas for when the Ages began/ended, since the influence of any particular race wouldn't end everywhere across Magnamund at the same time.

* MS 1862 Delden ref doesn't appear to make sense. Any ideas?

Nope. Either the year of the reference to Delden being founded during the Age of the Black Moon must be completely wrong.

I don't know what to say about that one. The best mackled guess would be 3862, though how such a typo could gave been allowed to stand is beyond me. I'll leave it as-is unless/until we get any more definite information.

* MS 3822 is accurately transcribed, but seems wrong. Any ideas? RPG states that Monastery is built in 3810; 10 years later the first of the students is called a Kai Lord

The MS 3810 date is everywhere, so that must be right.

I've left it as-is for now; I'm sure 3822 is supposed to represent something slightly different in the history of the Kai Lords than Sun Eagle's completing his Magnakai quest.

* CP currently says MS 5044 for Zadakar overrunning the Masbaté, but this is
actually a typo. The original Newsletter #8 p. 7 does say MS 5054. This is
obviously wrong. Should I go ahead and fix it to MS 5044?

Well, we also have the strange MS 5008 date from 01wotw, which is also very strange as it would make Samu much older than he appears. All dates around the GS series are weird.

I've fixed 5054 -> 5044.

By the way, do the Legends contain any info that could go into this
timeline? Would anyone trust it? :-)

Not really anything we don't already know; it gives the year of Landar's birth, IIRC, but we already have that from 11TPoT and the Newsletters.

You could of course extend the Timeline to post MS 5050, but that might contain major spoilers for when each book takes place, what battles or fought and won, etc.

a. xxxx (meaning after year xxxx)
b. xxxx (meaning before year xxxx)
c. xxxx (meaning circa, or about year xxxx)

Naa, sometimes we only know in what age something happens. I think I'll keep the question marks, but in some cases one or two digits can be accurately guessed.

That's what the a/b/c thing is supposed to represent. ;-)

For example:

MS 3004 Age of the Black Moon begins
a. MS3004 Delden is established from land won in wars with Magador and Eldenora during the Age of the Black Moon. CP

However, I'll avoid being dogmatic. ;-)

Back to the Newsletters, in theory--/theory/--I could go back and re-do all 36
of them to a more accurate standard than before, re-working all the artwork to
16-colour greyscale instead of 2-colour monochrome, noting all Errata, making
the text line-accurate. In /THEORY/. Is it really necessary, though?

Heh. Well, maybe we should keep all these strange dates the way they were printed. And also the Hardlands reference that started this, so that the readers can make their own guesses towards what Joe actually might have meant. But it would be nice if we could footnote the more unreasonable cases.

I do think the Newsletters could do with revisiting. Again. Some of the methods of overlaying the text on the images I used is rather crude by my current abilities, and I'm sure I could reduce the sizes of some documents quite drastically by making better use of cropped images, and/or increase the quality of the images used by using 16-c instead of 2-c images.

Right now, however, I'd rather concentrate on other, more novel things, for both PA and certain other groups.

Additionally, OToole L wrote:
I think the confusion in this one at least may be my doing. (Indirectly at any rate - stemming from my long list of minutiae on The Magnamund Companion last year.)

I checked the date on that--it's 6 months ago. You could make a fortune as one of those guys who can memorise an entire pack of cards!

I'm happy to go with the 5044 date, since it certainly makes more sense than the
5054 date. Unless it's referring to something that happens between Grey Star
entering the Shadow Gate in TFC and returning to Magnamund in WotW. >_<