[projectaon] Re: Probable error in the Companion Postscript

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:35:44 +0000

Hi Thomas

Thomas Wolmer wrote:
I was looking through the MC and noticed that in the Companion
Postscript, and noticed that the description of Eru says:

Mining settlements suffer repeated attacks from the
creatures of the Hellswamp, and lightning raids by
Drakkarim renegades of the Hardlands.

The Hardlands should most likely be the Hammerlands, since Eru is
quite far from the Hardlands.

I kept copies of all the raw scans of the LWC Newsletters, just in case. The Newsletter in question in #7, page 7. I just checked it, and it definitely says Hardlands. It's possible Hammerlands might have been the intention of the writer, but the Drakkarim aren't really in the Hammerlands, since it's a Bandit nation; the Draks hail from Nyras, Nyvoz, and the Tadatizaga (Hardlands). I'm not sure this should be changed.

Errata fixes in the Companion Postscript, or other LWC newsletter
derived material, aren't visible anywhere, I also noticed? I have
tried to make a timeline of all significant events in Magnamund
history, and some dates here and there are obviously wrong. But now
when I checked some of these dates in the Companion Postscript, they
aren't the same as the ones I earlier have put into the timeline.

No, I made no list of fixes for the Newsletters, since at the time getting them done seemed a higher priority. This refined text was then copied directly into the CP of TMC. I've checked a couple of the dates you mentioned as dubious on your chart--MS 1862 as the birth of Delden, and MS 3822 as the completion of the Lorestone Quest--and the numbers as they appear in the CP are accurate to the Newsletters. (The timeline is /very/ good, BTW, very comprehensive!) There are obviously a few discrepancies which cannot easily be reconciled.

I've checked against the Mongoose RPG for a couple of bits as well.

* Age of Chaos does begin in 9000 MS
* Age of War begins in 5000 MS not 4608 MS
* Agarash's death is in 3572 MS (where does the ref to 3275 come from?)
* Age of the Old Kingdoms begins in 3000 MS not 3572 MS
* MS 1968 is indeed an error, but that is how it was typed in NY87 p. 9. I'll endeavour to fix both to 1968 MS ASAP
* MS 1862 Delden ref doesn't appear to make sense. Any ideas?
* Age of the Sun Star begins in MS 3800 not MS 3810
* MS 3822 is accurately transcribed, but seems wrong. Any ideas? RPG states that Monastery is built in 3810; 10 years later the first of the students is called a Kai Lord
* CP currently says MS 5044 for Zadakar overrunning the Masbaté, but this is actually a typo. The original Newsletter #8 p. 7 does say MS 5054. This is obviously wrong. Should I go ahead and fix it to MS 5044?

My only suggestion regarding the timeline would be to use the following standard letters when referring to dates not known, to remove the question marks, since a rough "guesstimation" can probably be made in all cases:

a. xxxx (meaning after year xxxx)
b. xxxx (meaning before year xxxx)
c. xxxx (meaning circa, or about year xxxx)

Back to the Newsletters, in theory--/theory/--I could go back and re-do all 36 of them to a more accurate standard than before, re-working all the artwork to 16-colour greyscale instead of 2-colour monochrome, noting all Errata, making the text line-accurate. In /THEORY/. Is it really necessary, though?