[projectaon] Re: Probable error in the Companion Postscript

  • From: Thomas Wolmer <angantyr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:10:16 +0100

2006/1/15, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Thomas Wolmer wrote:
> > I was looking through the MC and noticed that in the Companion
> > Postscript, and noticed that the description of Eru says:
> >
> > Mining settlements suffer repeated attacks from the
> > creatures of the Hellswamp, and lightning raids by
> > Drakkarim renegades of the Hardlands.
> >
> > The Hardlands should most likely be the Hammerlands, since Eru is
> > quite far from the Hardlands.
>
> I kept copies of all the raw scans of the LWC Newsletters, just in case. The
> Newsletter in question in #7, page 7. I just checked it, and it definitely
> says
> Hardlands. It's possible Hammerlands might have been the intention of the
> writer, but the Drakkarim aren't really in the Hammerlands, since it's a
> Bandit
> nation; the Draks hail from Nyras, Nyvoz, and the Tadatizaga (Hardlands). I'm
> not sure this should be changed.

Well, the reasons why I believe it should be Hammerlands are:
1) Geography. Between Eru and the Hardlands lays the Hellswamp, Nyvoz,
and Zaldir/the Darklands. Hardly a distance fit for lightning raids.
2) 10tdot says: "Two years ago, Drakkarim renegades from the
Hammerlands attacked and overran his northern city of Luomi." And
despite the "bandit kingdom" tag, most of Baron Shinzar's troups are
Drakkarim. I don't really understand the "renegade" part, they seem to
serve the Darklords just as well as any others...
3) The Hardlands is descibed as being inhabited by various Agarishi
creatures, not Drakkarim, or have I missed something? Other than that
illustration in the MC which I also suspect might be mistagged... In
17tdoi, there are obviously Drakkarim settlements in the Hardlands,
but I assumed that they settled there only after having been driven
out of Nyras and Zaldir.

[...]

> I've checked against the Mongoose RPG for a couple of bits as well.

Ah, thanks!

> * Age of War begins in 5000 MS not 4608 MS

Hm, this really does not fit with the timeline as drawn in the MC...
and 4608 MS is very logical as that is the start of the "War of a
Thousand Years" (if we ignore that other conflicting date for the
arrival of the Elder Magi).

> * Agarash's death is in 3572 MS (where does the ref to 3275 come from?)

Very good question. I cannot find it anywhere now...

> * Age of the Old Kingdoms begins in 3000 MS not 3572 MS

Again does not fit with the MC (or logically).

> * MS 1862 Delden ref doesn't appear to make sense. Any ideas?

Nope. Either the year of the reference to Delden being founded during
the Age of the Black Moon must be completely wrong.

> * Age of the Sun Star begins in MS 3800 not MS 3810

At least this one makes sense. :-)

> * MS 3822 is accurately transcribed, but seems wrong. Any ideas? RPG states
> that Monastery is built in 3810; 10 years later the first of the students is
> called a Kai Lord

The MS 3810 date is everywhere, so that must be right.

> * CP currently says MS 5044 for Zadakar overrunning the Masbaté, but this is
> actually a typo. The original Newsletter #8 p. 7 does say MS 5054. This is
> obviously wrong. Should I go ahead and fix it to MS 5044?

Well, we also have the strange MS 5008 date from 01wotw, which is also
very strange as it would make Samu much older than he appears. All
dates around  the GS series are weird.

By the way, do the Legends contain any info that could go into this
timeline? Would anyone trust it? :-)

> a. xxxx (meaning after year xxxx)
> b. xxxx (meaning before year xxxx)
> c. xxxx (meaning circa, or about year xxxx)

Naa, sometimes we only know in what age something happens. I think
I'll keep the question marks, but in some cases one or two digits can
be accurately guessed.

> Back to the Newsletters, in theory--/theory/--I could go back and re-do all 36
> of them to a more accurate standard than before, re-working all the artwork to
> 16-colour greyscale instead of 2-colour monochrome, noting all Errata, making
> the text line-accurate. In /THEORY/. Is it really necessary, though?

Heh. Well, maybe we shouldkeep all these strange dates the way they
were printed. And also the Hardlands reference that started this, so
that the readers can make their own guesses towards what Joe actually
might have meant. But it would be nice if we could footnote the more
unreasonable cases.

--
Thomas