[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 2)

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 22:23:48 +0800

On 19 April 2011 18:04, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  (ft)    230:    [JD: should we create a footnote reminding players not to
>>> forget the +7 CS bonus of either Helshezag or the Dagger of Vashna when
>>> used
>>> against a Darklord?]
>>> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/12tmod/sect230.htm>
>>>

>> Agreed that we should footnote here. I think most readers would rather
>> have the +7CS or +12CS than the surprise. :)
>>

> So, should we:
>
> (1)
>
> Footnote a +7CS here and alter the wording of Section 88: "when used within
> the walls of Helgedad" -> "when used against the Archlord"?
>
> (2)
>
> Footnote a +12CS here, which is consistent, but spoils the surprise of
> Section 88, particularly for first-time readers?

Given these choices, I'd side with (1).

A possible third option would be to make mention of the alternative
interpretation, but hide it away rather than put it in the footnote. I'm
thinking of something like the Tarnalin entry options in 02fotw; the
footnote to s.299 has a link to the erratum for the section, and a spoiler
warning.

Taking our cue from that, we could mention in the erratum to s.88 that the
original wording would imply that the higher bonus is also usable against
Taktaal; we chose to preserve the surprise, but the reader might wish to
choose the alternative. And then we link to that erratum from s.230's
footnote, with a suitable spoiler warning. Something like:

"Information revealed in a later section may have an effect on how this
fight should be conducted; see the erratum for Section 88 for details. Note
that this will reveal that information to you sooner than the author
intended, which many readers, especially first-time readers, may prefer not
to do."

It lacks the elegance of Simon's (1), but I think it covers all the options.

--
Tim Pederick