[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 2)

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:04:03 +0100

Hi all

Thanks for the feedback so far. I've finalised and implemented/rejected the changes for Book 16 already, and marked the proposal for Book 11 as Rejected.

Looking through the other issues (Books 10 and 12), I have a few queries:

The Masters of Darkness

(ft)    75:     [jc: If you do not possess another magical weapon (i.e.
Magic Spear, Dagger of Vashna, Jewelled Mace), you are not able to inflict
any damage to Kraagenskûl. Ignore any ENDURANCE points lost by Kraagenskûl
during the first three rounds of combat.]

Agreed that it should only be the DoV (assuming - haven't checked -
that we can't reach here with Helshezag, not just that we chose not to
use it).

Also, we should probably move the existing footnote marker to after
the period. Currently, it looks like you should turn to Section 2405!

Done! Actually, I moved the footnote elsewhere and placed the second footref marker there (outside the period).

"Unless you are carrying the Dagger of Vashna and choose to use it, you will be unable to inflict damage upon Darklord Kraagenskûl for the three rounds until you can retrieve the Sommerswerd. Should you choose to use the Dagger of Vashna here, remember that "you may add 7 points to your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of the fight, owing to the power of the Dagger of Vashna when used against a Darklord of Helgedad" (cf. Section 171)."

(ft)    230:    [JD: should we create a footnote reminding players not to
forget the +7 CS bonus of either Helshezag or the Dagger of Vashna when used
against a Darklord?]
<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/12tmod/sect230.htm>

Agreed that we should footnote here. I think most readers would rather
have the +7CS or +12CS than the surprise. :)

So, should we:

(1)

Footnote a +7CS here and alter the wording of Section 88: "when used within the walls of Helgedad" -> "when used against the Archlord"?

(2)

Footnote a +12CS here, which is consistent, but spoils the surprise of Section 88, particularly for first-time readers?

I would thus propose a footnote referencing that Monastery Mailbag answer
(can't remember which newsletter it's from off the top of my head, sorry!)
and say something such as "Magical weapons (Special Items) can be destroyed here
too, but only if you are not carrying at least one ordinary weapon" -
or just use Joe's phrasing from the Newsletter, which was probably better than
mine.

"Taking comments originally published in Lone Wolf Club Newsletter No.6 [link: <http://www.projectaon.org/en/ReadersHandbook/NewsletterExcerpts#lwcn6>] as a precedent, it seems reasonable to assume that you only lose a weaponlike Special Item here if you are not carrying at least one ordinary non-magical Weapon."

Should I adapt the same wording for the Dagger of Vashna in Sections 130 and 142? "Taking comments originally published in Lone Wolf Club Newsletter No.6 [link: <http://www.projectaon.org/en/ReadersHandbook/NewsletterExcerpts#lwcn6>] as a precedent, it seems reasonable to assume that you only lose the Dagger of Vashna here if you are not carrying at least one ordinary non-magical Dagger." ???

I'm marking 71, 93, 168, and 228 of Book 10 Rejected with the following comments in the Errata entry:

[jb: The Captives of Kaag sections 12 and 330 make it clear that it is effective against Helghasts. But does that mean that it is effective against all undead or just Helghasts?] [DED: Helghasts can only be harmed by "magical" weapons, and the Jewelled Mace is a magical weapon. Undeadness is irrelevant.]

Wow! Cracking through them this week!