[projectaon] Re: Comment period for Magnakai series

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 16:57:42 -0700

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Ingo Kloecker
<projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sunday 25 March 2012, Simon Osborne wrote:
>> On 25/03/2012 06:36, Paulius Stepanas wrote:
>> > Hope it's not too late for me to respond to this:
>> >
>> > Sent by projectaon-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx On Behalf Of Simon Osborne:
>> >
>> > No, the original is correct. Up until a couple of years ago, there
>> > was no such word as "anymore" (may still not be) in the dictionary.
>> > The correct form is as two words: "any more".
>>
>> <http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anymore>
>>
>> Use of "anymore" has not just sprung up over 'a couple of years',
>> since I was using it at school (1980s) in England. Of course, not
>> all English teachers teach the same thing, which makes for an even
>> more wonderful, frustrating language!
>
> Just for reference, here are all occurrences of "any more" and "anymore"
> in the books:
>
> Looking for >any more<...
> 01fftd 335: Rather than waste any more precious time, you continue
> 01gstw 22: and you will not have to use any more WILLPOWER
> 02fotw 241: could be cut out before it does any more harm.
> 02smr 262:  Rather than risk losing any more of his men, the leader
> orders
> 08tjoh 129:  if you can avoid encountering any more of the Danarg's
> 09tcof 19: "Not any more," replies the bearded
> 11tpot equipmnt: but you may not add any more at the beginning of this
> adventure
> 21votm 166: . When you refuse to give them any more money, they become
> aggressive
> 27v 327: I have no desire to risk any more in a reckless pursuit.
> 28thos 247: we'll not be seeing any more from those fine fellows again,
>
> Looking for >anymore<...
> 18dotd 59:  can hardly be considered news anymore.
> 18dotd errerr: Replaced "any more" with "anymore".

Thanks, Ingo. I guess this shows that the author stuck with "any
more". If he had used "anymore" in the adverbial sense that the
context in 18dotd and 09tcof call for, then I would have been OK with
that. But being that he stuck with "any more", I'm cool with that,
too.

I've reverted the change in 18dotd and committed it to subversion.