Re: Updated EdSharp supports reading books in EPUB format

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 09:36:49 -0700

Where'd u buy it from, Jamal? & may I make private contact, as I'm not
particularly eager for this next bit to be for public consumption,
though, having said thus, what I am proposing is legal, since the
material was legitimately purchased but u as a blind individual are
being denied access to it.

On 7/30/11, Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As Jackie said, a lot of EPUB books -- and most Kindle books -- use
> Digital Rights Management (DRM) schemes, as far as I know.  This
> calibre-based conversion does not work with such books, unfortunately.
>
> I have also heard of the Firefox extension that Jackie mentioned, though
> have not tried it yet.
>
> Recently, I read that a new release of Adobe Digital Editions supports
> JAWS 12 and VoiceOver.  That software seems to be similar to Adobe
> Reader, but for various ebook formats, including EPUB.  DRM is
> integrated into the product, which is a free download from adobe.com.
>
> Theoretically then, Adobe Digital Editions should allow one to read any
> EPUB, including whatever rich text features are supported by the
> accessibility APIs (which could be an advantage over a plain text
> rendering).  Personally, however, I have not been able to get access to
> a DRM-protected EBOOK I just bought, which is frustrating.  If anyone
> else wants to try with Digital Editions or some other EPUB reader, the
> title is "Drupal 7 Bible," available in EPUB but no other electronic
> format, as far as I can tell.  The publisher is Wiley,
> http://wiley.com
>
> With JAWS 12 on Vista32 and the version of Digital Editions that says it
> includes accessibility, I get no text whatsoever in the content area of
> the application.
>
> Jamal
>
> On 7/29/2011 11:19 PM, Katherine Moss wrote:
>> You know, my friend was telling me about those types of books, and he was
>> wondering if there's a way to read them in their native format (for I
>> prefer keeping documents in their original format when possible), on a PC
>> accessibly.  Is Edsharp's conversion feature there because there simply
>> isn't a way since Epub's an iPOD format?  Or is it?

Blame the computer--why not? It can't defend itself & occasionally
might even be the culprit
Jackie McBride
Ask Me Computer Questions at: www.pcinquirer.com
Jaws Scripting training materials: www.screenreaderscripting.com