Re: Updated EdSharp supports reading books in EPUB format

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 08:19:34 -0500

Jamal,

liblouis and liblouisxml or liblouisutdml will provide not only Braille
translation but als formatting according to specifications in the epub
file. All that is necessary is to make a semantic-action file for epub.
The programs themselves are designed to help in making this file.

If you can point me to a good epub document I can make it.

I hear that Daisy 5 is basically epub. Is this true?

Thanks,
John

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 08:36:47AM -0400, Jamal Mazrui wrote:
> EPUB is increasingly competing with PDF as a format in which publishers
> distribute ebooks.  I found a good converter from EBUB to plain text in
> the "calibre" software available at
> http://calibre-ebook.com/
>
> It is part of a large download that includes many ebook management
> features.  Due to its size, I have not bundled it with EdSharp like
> other command-line converters.  Instead, I have included an option at
> the end of the EdSharp installation process, which lets one download and
> install the latest calibre version for Windows.  That checkbox is off by
> default.  If one checks that option, I recommend accepting the default
> directory suggested by the installer, which isc:\program c:\program
> Files\Calibre2
>
> If that is done, then the Open Other Format command of EdSharp,
> Control+Shift+O, will convert a file from .epub to .txt format.  Also,
> the Text Convert command, Control+T, should be able to batch convert a
> list of .epub files.
>
> If you have an existing installation of EdSharp, you can get the update
> via the Elevate command, F11.  Otherwise, you can install from
> http://EmpowermentZone.com/edsetup.exe
>
> Jamal

Abilitiessoft, Inc.
http://www.abilitiessoft.com