Re: Screen Reader Compatibility

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 15:16:42 -0500

I'm definitely disappointed to see JAWS getting all the attention on the Windows side. Personal, subjective preference aside, I think most of us can agree that It's more expensive than Window Eyes, has an inferior scripting implementation compared to Window Eyes, uses more system resources than Window Eyes, and yet so many accessibility products worry about compatibility with JFW which translates to implicit support for Freedom Scientific's frivolous litigation, forced Braille driver signing, and other nonsense that serves the blind community in no useful fashion. It sounds like you've already gotten pretty far on your roadmap for Windows with JAWS already, so I'll say no more. Hopefully you'll revisit the possibility of Window Eyes compatibility in the future, although I guess with Window Eyes being more adaptable (my opinion of course) it'll be easier for its users to adapt it to Sotbeans themselves.

Jared

On 1/23/2010 9:59 AM, Andreas Stefik wrote:
Hi folks,

We're working hard out here on screen reader compatibility on the Sappy/Sodbeans projects in NetBeans. We're trying to decide which screen readers we should make our code compatible with. We realistically can't do all of them in the short term and we are starting with Jaws/ OSX Voice Over. Once those are complete, any suggestions on what screen readers the community would prefer come next? Any preferences?

We were thinking maybe a unix flavor screen reader, perhaps Orca, but are open to suggestions. What does the community think?

Andreas Stefik, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Computer Science
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville