Re: Making braille display working with a particular application

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 17:43:51 -0400

In my experience, the jaws dll is not even needed. Here is another
line from accessible_output:
self.object = win32com.client.Dispatch("FreedomSci.JawsApi")
So here, all we are doing is connecting to a jaws com object (com
objects are all over the place), so you do not need a dll at all. Of
course, this would fail if jaws is not there, since no com server
would be set up by jaws. I believe cpp can handle com objects.
Window-Eyes, a screen reader by GW Micro, works the same way; it is
only SA and NVDA that need their dll files present and loaded by the
application. SayTools works as a com server as well. By the way, here
is the new link:
http://www.empowermentzone.com/edsetup.exe
Sorry for the broken link.

As for Python, I would have agreed with you a year ago. However, I was
forced to use it for a couple weeks in a class, and fell in love with
it. It is a lot simpler than cpp, and there seem to be more useful
libraries out there for it, though that is an admitedly biased opinion
since I do not often search for cpp libraries. Indentation is easy
enough to work with once you get used to it, and you can download the
EdSharp editor (http://www.empowermentzone.com/edsetup.exe), a text
editor written by a blind programmer that has a lot of great features.
There is a jaws scheme set up by another guy on this list that uses
musical notes to indicate indentation, and using this makes it a great
deal easier to use.

In short, Python's indentation is something to get used to, but its
ease of use aside from that makes it well worth the initial effort, at
least for me.

On 9/15/10, QuentinC <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The package is called accessible_output and is part of the source code
> of Qwitter (qwitter-client.net). It is in Python only, but I suspect
> that it could be translated by someone who knows both Python and c++
> (I do not know enough cpp) since it is basically just a lot of
> convenience functions around connecting to the first available screen
> reader on the user's computer and using the reader's api.
>
> Do you have a link to that ? It sounds interesting, but I hope it is usable
> by another thing than python.
>
> Why everything is in python ? I really don't understand that choice...
> python is in my opinion the less accessible programming language for blind
> ever, because of the indentation stuff. I tried it fast, and I fast gave it
> up because of that very annoying problem.
>
>> By the way, that untested dll you have is for System Access or System
> Access To Go.
>
> I don't know that screen reader at all, so I will just let it down for a
> while.
>
>> You do not need to bundle jfwapi.dll in your
> application, at least I do not think so, for it to work. Just use
> win32 to find which reader is running (see
> http://www.empowermentzone.com/saysetup.zip for info on this, but this
> is also in Python).
>
> I'm not sure to understand you correctly, and your link is broken (404).
> How could I use jaws API without the DLL ?
> You mean that the DLL is already in windows directory and doesn't have to be
> included or so because of that ?

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)
mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx; http://www.facebook.com/mehgcap