Re: Java Deprecated on Mac

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 10:12:48 -0500

Kerneels,

To answer your questions:

1. Sodbeans uses the NetBeans auto-update mechanism, which is very
mature. Once we put the materials live, existing Sodbeans installs
will automatically detect new versions are available for download and
you can update from the wizard. There are a few quirks with the Oracle
system, and sometimes every NetBeans user has to redownload
completely, but not for this release.

2. So far as we can tell, it works fine using the latest Oracle/Sun
JDK, and also works predominately fine on Mac OS X, as we wrote our
own screen reader to bypass Voice Over, which is unfortunately not
compatible with NetBeans. It should also work for most internal
non-JDK compatible NetBeans code, reading windows that JAWS, NVDA, or
other screen readers have no chance of reading correctly.

With that said, there are some known issues that, because of the
complexity of NetBeans code, we haven't figured out how to solve yet.
The most vexing one is how to translate Code completion popups and
certain kinds of visual editor hints, like the yellow lightbulbs on
the left glyph gutter action, into sound. These systems are run
through custom NetBeans widgets, and do not run through the standard
listener architectures used in the JDK. I'm hoping to squeeze that
into the Sodbeans 2.0 release, which will be next summer if we can
figure it out, but it's a tough problem.

With that said, we have tons of accessibility enhancements, new
language features in Hop (our language), and 100's of bug fixes coming
in the next release. It's a huge release, and I'm personally really
proud of this one.

Stefik