Re: Cross Platform Audio Game Engine

  • From: Lex <lex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:15:49 +0200

Hi Storm,

12.01.2011 18:32, Storm Dragon пишет:
I have searched for this on Google but not really found what I am
looking for.
I am also interested in the topic, so I searched something like "3d game engine architecture" and found some books on the subject to read:
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Engine-Architecture-Applications-ebook/dp/B001C4QKD4
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Engine-Architecture-Charles-Development/dp/1584504730

And lots of books on the subject is here:
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4621536/Game_Design_eBooks_Pack

I dreamed about creating a game engine for audio games from the beginning of my programmer story, since I started to learn programming. I made a couple of attempts but newer finished my work because of different reasons such as change of major language (from Delphi to C++), lack of time, etc. Finally, I decided that such a task is almost impossible to achieve by one person with limited time resources (I am taking a degree at the university on software engineering). Last months my interest on the subject has even increased. Now I am researching different connected topics (like how to bind C++ code to python nicely) etc. During my previous attempts to build an engine I have learned a lot and I hope that one day I will be able to finish my work.
I guess my question is, what is involved in a game engine?
I assume it makes writing games easier, and it is based off already
existing programming languages with functions and/or objects to make
game creation easier.
Yes. Game engine consists of several subsystems (sound, events, input, physics, network, scripting - to name some of them) and some abstraction which connects all of that together (to make it an engine, not only a package of libraries). The last part is, IMO, the most important: there exist a lot of libraries helping in game creation which can help to develop audio games, but there isn't some layer which presents all that stuff in way, which allows end-developer to concentrate on the game logic, instead of problems like "how to move my sounds when the object moves" or "how to bind keys/joystick/mouse to my functions", "how to invent a yet-another-game-saving-restoring-feature" etc.
I know there are several audio game companies out
there, and in an attempt to get more of them to do cross platform work,
I was considering starting work on a game engine.
Consider joining me and collaborate on this. My target language is C++ (for the core of the engine) and python for scripting.
I guess pygame is a game engine,
I believe that pygame is a set of libraries, not an engine.
but it is mainly designed for
sighted play. So if I wrote an engine could I build it using pygame as
the backbone, and just make it easier to add sound generating objects?
I don't think that will be enough.
Would it be better to do some platform checking and use openal in *nux
and directx in Windows?
starting from vista, DirectX no more supports hardware accelerated sound, leaving one only with openal as a wide-accessible alternative for using hardware sound.
One thing that would be really awesome is to
make it easy to make graphical games with accessibility. My ultimate
dream is to have games that are accessible for everyone, not just blind
or just sighted users.
Then you might look at some existing open-source graphic game engines and extend one of them to help developing accessible games.

Lex