Cross Platform Audio Game Engine

  • From: Storm Dragon <stormdragon2976@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:32:37 -0500

Hi,
I have searched for this on Google but not really found what I am
looking for. I guess my question is, what is involved in a game engine?
I assume it makes writing games easier, and it is based off already
existing programming languages with functions and/or objects to make
game creation easier. I know there are several audio game companies out
there, and in an attempt to get more of them to do cross platform work,
I was considering starting work on a game engine. But, in order to do
it, I would need to know or have some idea about what a game engine
does. I guess pygame is a game engine, but it is mainly designed for
sighted play. So if I wrote an engine could I build it using pygame as
the backbone, and just make it easier to add sound generating objects?
Would it be better to do some platform checking and use openal in *nux
and directx in Windows? One thing that would be really awesome is to
make it easy to make graphical games with accessibility. My ultimate
dream is to have games that are accessible for everyone, not just blind
or just sighted users. Of course, this may be a bit beyond my skills, I
can learn though. I still gotta finish the pyngpong project, or at least
get it playable. Anyway, if anyone can explain better what a game engine
does or knows of some good documentation on writing one, please sshare
the knowledge.
Thanks
Storm
--
"with a trunk big enough to fit three bodies in"
Calabrese