Re: Case sensitivity - feedback welcome

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 09:11:59 +0200

If I'm not mistaking, some components of emacspeak, the speech system for
emacs performs a type of audio syntax highlighting which is probably out of
scope for the Sodbeans project. Everyone has their own preferences regarding
this topic, as usual, which is good but highlights the need for customisable
behaviour. Not sure if someone has mentioned this yet, but a short beep just
before speaking a camel case word which starts with a capital could also be
helpful. For full caps words, like what is common for constants in C and C++
the whole word could be spoken with a significantly raised pitch. There are
basically these things to identify via audio output:
1. Does the word start with a capital?
2. Is the word camel case?
3. Is the word all caps?

Then there are these auditory queues:
1. Short beep.
2. Higher pitch.
3. Say "caps".
4. Say "caps caps".
5. Use another voice.

Sounds are much faster than speaking something and it could even be played
while the word is spoken.

What would work best would depend on the programming language, the
perceptiveness of the listener and the frequency of particular syntax
patterns.

Regards,
Kerneels

Kerneels Roos