Re: Case sensitivity - feedback welcome

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:38:47 -0400

I definitely make heavy use of the screen reader interpreting a capitalized letter in the middle of a word like a word boundary in my own work. It helps me out some, but this is one of those things that really make me wish I had a Braille display!

On 6/3/2010 12:35 PM, Andreas Stefik wrote:
Thanks folks, this is helpful. First, prosody is any kind of voice
inflection change, like changing the speed of the voice, the pitch,
the volume, or something similar.

Second, if I'm reading correctly, it sounds like this isn't really a
big deal. If anything, we may want to have a feature that allows
people to more easily distinguish between all cap words and non, but
that having it say "all caps" or something similar might be annoying
anyway.

Thanks, all,

Stefik

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Donald Marang<donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I am not a code professional, I just do it as a hobby.  My ears sometimes
have difficulty hearing the pitch change most text to speech engines
prefer.  What is prosody?  Is it similar to the pitch change method?

In JAWS, I had to create a special Speech and Sounds Scheme that verbally
says "Cap" before individual characters when typing and reviewing by
character.  It also says "AllCaps" when word typing echo is enabled and when
reviewing by word.  Having it announce Caps when reading line by line, by
sentence, or a SayAll I find not necessary and just annoying.  I do not use
this all of the time, but in JAWS, I can switch to this scheme quickly with
Insert + Alt + S or just make it load for certain applications.

I also have the Insert + ` key cycle through All, Most, Some and None
punctuation levels.  This is helpful when coding.

Don Marang