Re: Access to PDF

  • From: "Ishe Chinyoka" <chinyoka.consultant@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 07:54:47 +0200

Hi!

I think the point is now made that Adobe is failing where it matters
most: to work well with screen readers. However, I would give them
credit for their software which is meant to preserve formatting and
page layout across various platforms. Even though I have got some
reservations with regards to its slowness in opening files, especially
huge books, I use it for outputting Latex files. I prefer it to the
DVI files which I cannot read using Jaws.

Concerning their other products, I  personally feel that they should
improve on PS format---I don't find it able to even read a line with a
screen reader. With PDF files at least you can read a whole document
and save to text: but what about their PS standard? Is it only for
printers and not to be displayed on screen?

Thank you.

On 7/4/08, Sean Murphy <smurf_bp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All,
>
> My points:
>
> 1.  How can the standards (what ever they are) can be forced or be
> automatically checked to improve accessibility.  The tags have something to
> do with the standards.  But not many documents support this.
>
> 2.  The ability of moving through a document without pressing control + page
> down on large document is a pain.  I don't see the need for this, there
> could be a technical reason.
>
> 3.  Some documents I hav read repeat the first paragraph twice.
>
> 4.  Searching documents doesn't really work.  If I search something, there
> appears to be no option to go back to the document.
>
> 5.  Adobe should disable any means of people preventing access for the
> Screen Reader.  The Screen Reading software like Jaws prevents you from
> copying selected text any way.  so this is not a requirement any more.
>
> 6.  filling in forms is a issue.
>
> 7.  If you compare navigating a CHM with a PDF, I would use CHM over PDF
> because it is quicker to jump around a document.
>
> Sen

Ishe Chinyoka
Website URL: http://www.chinyoka.com
In darkness, it is better to light your own candles than to curse at
the darkness.