[program-l] Re: Eclipse, Spring and Hibernate

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:39:22 +0200

Hi there,

Eclipse is an IDE of course, meaning it's only a tool for coding, debugging
and organising your project in a sensible way. I'm not sure if Eclipse has a
GUI builder, you know, the drag-n-drop kind of visual GUI builders that are
common in Visual Studio. Once you know what you are doing, it's generally a
good idea to switch to using an IDE for any medium to large project. It
makes sense to start out with a simple text editor and command line
compiler, but soon you will need an integrated debugger and all the other
nice things an IDE offers.

Hibernate is an ORM -- Object Relational Mapper system which is a very
mature project by now -- it's been around for a while and many people use it
extensively I believe. Basically you define your data model in special XML
files and then it makes persisting objects a breeze even if the objects
contain collections of other objects and so on. Hibernate also has a special
query language HQL which is a powerful extension to SQL allowing you to do
object queries. It's really awesome. You can also check out NHibernate for
.Net. So it's not a particular program, more like an API you can use from
within your code.

Spring is an application framework for building large, multi tiered
applications or web aplications. It's pretty involved and really only makes
sense if your project needs to be of an enterprise standard with many layers
-- one for persistance, one for business logic, one for the view or user
interface and so on. What I'm saying is it's not for the beginner, and it's
not for your average web or desktop app. It's a big boy, and it's like a
collection of APIs and a methodology for how to structure most parts of your
application.

HTH and hope it's not all old hat for you already -- i.e. my post is
redundant!
Cheers

--
Kerneels Roos
Cell/SMS: +27 (0)82 309 1998

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!