[Precisionix-General] Re: Installer

  • From: Taras Kostiak <taraskostiak@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: precisionix-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 14:50:44 +0300

Codecs must be included. Mp3 for sure.
Yes, I think ubuntus installer is very easy --- but do we want to give
users a choice of desktop durring install or not? As for partitioning,
we can change that interface a little to make it easier and less buggy
than the ubuntu one. fw-cutter is a poor driver, and would rarely give
me more than 1Mb/s so I use ndiswrapper on that computer, and the free
intel driver on my new laptop. We wont include DRM software or such in
our distribution, maybe fluendo stuff and a codec assistant.
On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 01:46 -0700, daaawg wrote:
As far as my experience with the install process:
I have many years supporting Windows systems professionally in
enterprise environments -- the install process for Ubuntu blew me away
-- very quick and painless. The only problem I had was making a
decision on how I should partition my drives. For a default choice, I
believe separate partitions for root and home are appropriate, of
course we would have to include a choice to leave any windoze
partition intact. For those choosing to set up custom partitions, a
simple statement explaining the sanity behind a separate partition for
the home directory would have saved me some time googling for an
answer to the question, "what makes a good linux partition scheme?"
The hardware detection was quite good, although my laptop sound does
not work :( even though it appears that the hardware was detected
properly. Wifi required the use of the fwcutter driver which worked
for about 10 minutes, at which point I googled the problem from
another computer, and installed the ndiswrapper for the broadcom
windows drivers. Of course, because of Ubuntu's philosophy, I had to
install non-free and/or proprietary codecs for dvd viewing. Some of
these problems are due to self-imposed constraints due to ideology,
some are due to legal issues such as DRM. Before any work is done to
build a distro, ground rules need to be set to cover these issues. If
it is going to be a distro that is crippled out of the box due to
legal/philosophical issues, then it should be made clear right away
why this is so, but it should be made as painless as possible to get
the software to make things work. I think Ubuntu did a good job on the
part of providing easy installation of the software pieces, but I was
pretty much in the dark as to why I had to jump through these hoops.
In summary, I think Ubuntu's install process is quite good and
deserves a close look.

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:21 AM, Andrew Sorensen <aos@xxxxxxx> wrote:
        I think its time we make some important decisions about the
        installer
        process, since it will effect other aspects about what we do.
        we dont have any set way we have to do this yet, the rest
        needs to be
        designed on a few questions...
        here are some choices for package/install format:
        1)Livecd + squashfs (like ubuntu) the user boots a livecd, the
        boot
        process uses a squashfs on the cd as / tempfs, and boots. When
        the user
        installs the distro, the squashfs is uncompressed to the hard
        disk, and
        the installer program and unneeded things that were
        uncompressed to disk
        are removed, and the system config is setup..
        advantages of this system are a fast install speed, cons are
        that user
        has to install everything from the squashfs, and remove what
        they dont
        need ;( (no choosing gnome vs kde here, unless you got another
        cd...)
2)debian based installer (like debian-installer in debian)
        this would simply install all the packages to the users target
        system,
        it will take much longer than the first install method,
        however lets the
        user choose just what they want to install.
3)some other setup (your ideas go here!)
        if you know of a better way to do this, post here! if you got
        some ideas
        about making a new installer, post here as well!
        I think with our mailing list you just gotta do Re: Installer
        as subject
        and precisionix-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx as mailto, and it will
        take it as
        a reply.

--
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many',
and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.