[pov] Re: Apple Snow Leopard & photo apps performance

  • From: Randy Green <rgreeniwa@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:17:12 -0700

Hi James --

Yes I knew all that, I guess my question was: is there any difference/ benefit forcing the machine to run in 64bit mode, vs a standard boot- up where the OS runs a 64bit app in a 64bit space? Does that make sense? My guess is that it makes no difference, and in fact, I've now tried it both ways and can see no difference. HD apps, for example, will run in 64bit mode regardless of how you booted.

As a footnote to earlier threads, Parallels' new update seems to NOT update, but rather to crash part-way through. IF it's a patch to run it in 64bit mode, it's not working, as Parallels won't run if you boot in 64-bit mode. Activity Monitor seems to suggest it is still a 32bit program, whereas my other Apple programs are showing 64bit.

The quest continues...

R_

On Aug 31, 2009, at 4:07 PM, James Culbertson wrote:

There are not a lot of mainstream benefits for the average user at this point.

Most important thing is increasing RAM capacity for applications that are 64bit to 16 exabytes (from 4Gigabytes).

Not sure how large a photo has to be to begin to see benefits (once Photoshop CS5 is released).

But for video professionals who work with HD (1920x1080) and larger 2k/4k video files (or much larger still images), 64bit will be a boon. Right now, we suffer from regular memory errors in After Effects CS3/CS4 as an example; also, 32bit RAM access limits shorten composition previews. Other compositing applications like Nuke, Scratch, and Pablo do not suffer from such memory errors but are e exponentially more expensive.

The scientific modeling and large database communities will be pleased.

Apparently, there are security benefits to 64bits as well (at least on Snow Leopard) including Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) and making all write-able memory non-executable.

James

On Aug 31, 2009, at 3:34 PM, Randy Green wrote:

Hi Michael --

Well I did read it, but it doesn't say anything about whether running the OS full-time in 64bit mode makes any difference. Seems like that in 'normal mode' it will just run 64bit programs in 64 bit whenever you have them & 32bit whenever you have them also.

When I did the test boot into 64bit mode, I didn't notice any difference in speed on my Mac Pro with 2 quad-core Xeons. Haven't checked it on my Macbook pro yet though. I'll try it again later today.

Vacuous on Vashon,

R_

On Aug 31, 2009, at 2:51 PM, michael.elenko@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Randy,
If you click on the link I sent out to initiate this thread you will see that it does matter.

ME

Cordially,
Michael Elenko
206-226-3315