[pedevel] Re: Suggestion for refactoring of PText

  • From: "Andrew Bachmann" <andrewbachmann@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 23:04:17 -0700

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Oliver Tappe <pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> There are some functionalities in Pe that I'd like to drop, though, as I
> think they unnecessarily complicate things:
>        + support for proportional fonts (wrapping at "window border" or
> "paper
>          size") [is anyone actually using it?]
>

> cheers,
>         Oliver

Hi Oliver,

I think losing the support for proportional fonts would be fine, although I
worry about fonts that are effectively fixed width but may be characterized
as proportional.  I don't know why fonts like this exist, but I suppose that
we've all come across them from time to time.

So, perhaps you could write an algorithm that relies on the font being fixed
width but not restrict the selection of fonts to those that are tagged as
nonproportional.  (perhaps a warning at the font selection screen would be
warranted)  Also, perhaps the font selection could sort those that are
tagged as nonproportional at the top, to help the user with selection.

I hope I'm being clear about the issue that I'm trying to bring up.  Feel
free to ask if I'm not.

Andrew