[pedevel] Re: Suggestion for refactoring of PText

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pedevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:25:23 +0200 CEST

"Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There is still the question of how to handle the double-width
> > characters, then.
> How so? Would just following the spacing metrics of each glyph be
> enough
> to display the characters properly (without overlapping, I mean)?

Well, usually, if you have a fixed-width font, you don't have to worry
about the size of the glyphs - all have the same size. This
considerably simplifies the font handling.
Therefore, you could decide to ignore the double-width characters - in
any case, you need to handle them differently than other characters,
and you need extra code to do so.

> > Eventually, we might just want to differentiate between fixed-width
> > and
> > monospace fonts
> > which the current API does not allow AFAICT. Then, the app could
> > decide
> > on its own, and would need to support those double-width characters
> > in
> > some way if it decides to support monospace fonts.
> Isn't fixed-width and monospaced the same thing?

One would think so :-)
But since those fonts are flagged to be monospace fonts, but then have
two different width, they are obviously either not monospace fonts, or
it is in fact something different - I don't know, though, I never had
any typographical lectures :-))

Bye,
   Axel.