Re: [PCWorks] need help with my computer

  • From: Hugh Vandervoort <hughv2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 02:55:06 -0500

Another format is in order.
I would guess these problems recur because your AV and Anti-Spyware apps
are not kept up to date, or are not adequate, and Windows update is
turned off.
Immediately after the format (Save any important files first), install
an AV program. Many people like the AVG Free program which now includes
an anti-spyware component:
Install Windows Defender:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=435bfce7-da2b-4a6a-afa4-f7f14e605a0d&displaylang=en
Go to Windows update and download service pack 3 and all subsequent
critical updates. You may want to get WMP 11 while you're there.
Be sure to set auto updates to "Download and notify" while you're there.
Windows needs a certain amount of TLC, so pay attention to the warnings
and symptoms as soon as you get them. They're a pain, but the
alternative is worse.
We're always here, so let us know when these things occur.