Re: [PCWorks] Problems listening to music files (Was: need help with my computer)

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:32:27 -0600

Welcome to the list Janelle.  Please be sure and create
appropriate descriptive subject lines in original posts.  I've
changed this one.

First off, System Restore isn't going to fix a lot of malware
problems.  There are viruses/worms than reside in the System
Restore files, only to show up again.  It should be turned OFF,
so all its files are deleted, then the malware fixed, then
enable it again.  Better yet, it should be disabled and ERUNT
used for the System Restore.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/  For more
info on it, search the archives for ERUNT (link in the footer).
That will fix your system restore problems.

Disable automatic updates.  It's just a matter of time before
one of them ruins your PC (some update could be the cause of
one or more of your problems).  I always post Secunia security
updates to the list
http://secunia.com/advisories/secunia_security_advisories/ so
that's one way of learning about important patches/updates, and
you should go to the Windows Update site yourself every so
often, go to the Custom area (NOT Express) and just read about
the updates to see if you even need them.

For the file playing problem, go to Start > Programs > Admin
Tools > Event Viewer, or just paste: eventvwr.msc at the Run
command.  Duplicate the errors again, double-click
"Application" then find the corresponding "Error" (look at the
times to find the appropriate one) and double-click it and
copy/paste* that into your reply.  If there's more than one
Error that lists different info for the crash or error, do this
with each one.  *You have to highlight the text, then ctrl+C,
then paste that into your reply.

I can't make out from your post if this is all the same audio
file problem or there's more than one problem, so you may want
to clarify that.  (I created paragraphs 2 & 3 in your post to
clarify).  If they are different, then you need to start a new
post for #3.
-Clint

Happy Thanksgiving to all and God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner