Re: [PCWorks] Vista with SP1

  • From: Peter Kaulback <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 00:48:16 -0400

I've found in both Vista and XP that when fragmentation gets to be about
10% or more then a defrag is needed. Especially as most of the clients I
have do lots of audio/video editing and this tortures NTFS quickly while
doing little to HFS+ on the Mac or Ext2/3 on Linux, BTW both Mac and
Linux never need to be defragged (but thats another story...). If I ever
put a second drive in then the swap file goes there in it's own
partition, it's just easier overall.

And Ed has the right idea with Norton, as it is one of the sorriest
programs to remove completely, I've had so many complaints with it
either not coming out or blocking dialup altogether. Symantec has gone
downhill with this app and NIS too.

Peter Kaulback