Re: [PCWorks] Search applet on Windows XP

  • From: "Harold B." <haroldbraun@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 14:42:26 -0400

Oh you are so right. I finally took that path of finding a earlier restore
point, and as a result my system was returned to the dial-up status. Of
course, the hardware was all correctly connected (the filters on the house
phones, the 6100F modem sitting on top of the tower, the Ethernet cable
connected to modem and tower, the splitter on the one phone line I now
need), but being new to this kind of setup, I called Verizon and they (I
find many support people today are either in the Philippines or in northern
India), they walked me through the set-up again. Of course, the good news is
that the Search (or Find) that comes with Windows is now working. Maybe it
was one of those files that Clint suggested; even if I found it on my own, I
would never know where to put it. Well, he did mention that it "installs
itself. His Run > cmd suggestion is intriguing (and would be very
challenging to me). I could do it but would be damned if I know what's going
on ... maybe someday I'll be up to that kind of problem solving (yeah
right). --- Harold

From: "Clint Hamilton"
Harold the search applet where and for what?  I guess you mean XP's Native
HD search. As for the restore, that of course all depends on what was
changed.  Even if you went through all the networking settings and internet
settings and made a note of what they were, you'd still have the keys in the
registry that would have been changed.  Who setup the PC for it?  If it was
you then doing what you did over again should work.  The problem is dialup
has far different settings in the registry than broadband.  There is a bunch
of keys that have important broadband settings.

I would first try and fix the problem with the search.  Sounds like one of
the issues that can pop up after going from dialup to BB (changing ISP's).
Back when I went from dialup to BB I had to reformat for everything to work
correctly and get rid of all the DUN and dialup junk on the PC.  Every time
you search for anything on your HD, XP "phones home" to M$ and lets them
know!  It tries to call to sa.windows.com, (so you should put in a block on
that in your firewall).  The way it sends info to them is of course
dependent upon your ISP and connection, and that changed when you went to
DSL.  Did you see this?  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319949
http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=9D1F0B73-259A-4A1B-93A4-F02C21BCB15A

Also, or if you want to try these first, search for the file
"Srchasst.inf".........did I say "search"?  LOL.  It's in the C:\WINDOWS\inf
folder, and it may be a hidden folder. Right-click the file and "install".
There's also two .XLS files in the C:\WINDOWS\srchasst\mui\0409 folder that
can get corrupted in the Temp folder or Temp internet files folder.
"Balloon" and "Bar" I believe.  These should be deleted by installing the
inf file again.  If they're not, delete them from those folders, (or better
yet just keep those folders clean with something like IE Privacy Keeper). Or
put each of these at the command prompt (Run > cmd), hit [Enter] after each
line:

cd /d "%SystemRoot%\System32"
regsvr32 /u /s msxml3.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll