Re: [PCWorks] Noisy computer

  • From: "Harold B." <haroldbraun@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PC Works_LIST" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 22:53:22 -0500

Helle again ... seems your warnings were correct; that beeping did return even
though I thought I vacumed out the fan in the back of the tower as best I
could. This time I did open the side of the tower but then removing four screws
on the outside that held that rear fan compartment didn't help me get to that
rear fan. I suppose I would have had to continue removing screws to open the
compartment but looking through the grate, I did not see much dust that
accumulated there; maybe the vacume did enough cleaning.
Now until discussing this with the group (PCWorks), I didn't realize there was
a fan inside connected to the side opposite the removable panel. I think that
is the CPU fan? So I loosened four phillip screws removing that inside fan.
This was connected with a few wires and I just wiped the surface dust off the
blades of the fan.

What did have some globs of dust were the fins behind it. Here I took a chance
but didn't touch any electrical terminals; I used a small flat screwdriver and
removed considerable dust particles from those fins. Screwing the fan back on,
returning the panel to the side of the tower, and reconnecting the cables, the
computer is now working fine. I don't anticipate any beeping in the near
future. Thanks all for all your encouragement. --- Harold